Teachers are amazing. They give love, attention and acceptance to all kids. They see the potential in every child and sacrifice their needs for the needs of their students.
“At Dove Academy we are lucky to be a family and have such phenomenal teachers and staff,” Tommy Brooks, principal of Dove Academy, said. “Let’s celebrate and get to know more of them better. Learn who they are and how they contribute to our family at Dove.”
Read about Alisa Taylor-Lee. She has been at Dove Academy for six years and teaches 6th grade.
- At Dove you’re part of a family, how do you build a family-like atmosphere in your classroom?
It is of the utmost importance to build a family-like atmosphere in my classroom because we are together from September to June. I instruct and tell them that we are family. Family means that we help each other and make sure no one is left behind. We are a team.
Family also includes parents. It is important to stay in communication with them through various means like phone, email and ClassDoJo. I also have parent meetings in September to inform and then again in January to re-enforce our classroom guidelines:
- There will be lots of learning
- We will have fun
- I do not tolerate fighting
- We do not curse
- We will encourage one another
- What’s your secret ingredient in your classroom?
I have a few secret ingredients but my greatest secret ingredient in my classroom and throughout the building is love. Love always wins.
- What motivates you to be the best teacher you can be?
I am motivated to see my students learn every day. I enjoy hearing their stories, seeing their growth and being part of their ah-ha moments. I smile when they smile and hurt when they hurt. I’m there to listen and share suggestions if they need it.
- In what ways are creativity and innovative thinking used on a daily basis in your classroom?
Teamwork makes the dream work. I enjoy creating teams within the students. I like it when my students use Fist to Five for understanding, Turn and Talk for sharing, and Face to Face for understanding. At the end of each day, I also let the students email me what they have learned and to give examples that can help show understanding.
- How would a student best describe you?
I actually asked my students this question and this is what they had to say about me:
- Mother figure.
- Nice and kind.
- Always talks about the future and prepares them for the next grade.
- Short with a loud squeaky voice.
- Always shares knowledge on life issues.
- Respectful towards them.
- Loving and caring person.
- Helpful and a good listener.
- What would your colleagues say about you?
My colleagues would say I always remain calm regardless of the situation and that they don’t know how I do that. They would say that I love what I do and that I try and make my classroom as peaceful as I can. They would say that I work hard and am at the school A LOT! They would also say that I flee from drama, do not take in foolishness and that I will not let a child give me a heart attack from being upset and yelling.
- What was the deciding factor in choosing to teach at Dove?
I decided to teach at Dove Academy because I love children. Dove is exciting, family oriented and growing in so many ways — kind of like a blossoming flower that is spreading with great news.